Thursday, March 20, 2008

Sobhan Babu is no more

Yesteryears popular hero Sobhan Babu (71) expired today morning. He expired due to spinal card injury after falling while walking on the steps. He was born in 14 January in 1937 in China Nandigama as Uppu Sobhana Chalapati Rao. He changes his name as Sobhan Babu after entering the films. He made his debut with Bhakta Sabari. He won 5 Nandi awards and 4 filmfare awards. He retired from films 13 years back and has been spending retired life in Chennai. He is survived by a son and three daughters. The cremation will have once his elder daughter arrives from USA. May his soul rest in peace!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, I ceased to see Telugu films on big screen for well over two decades. May be I was cut off from from Telugu film industry releases or my stay in Delhi which had also curtailed my interest in Telugu films. Yes, after what I have watching the most ludicrous and burlesque comedey pictures of late, I feel I am lucky I belonged to the era of padmanabham, raja babu and All Ramalingaih. Yes, I belong to the Sobhan babu and Krishna fan-following generation--yes--the 70s and 80s generation. What a movie star was Sobhan babu? I would rate him next to the Telugu film industry pantheons--NTR, ANR--he was not only Andhra Andagadu but South Indian andagaadu. Good, he kicked the film industry when the going was good for him. A very sensible decision. Perhaps, he would have written his bitter experiences in his diary notes somewhere.